I heard recently that only 10% of Colorado residents actually ski in the winter.  This leads me to wonder what the other 90% are up to.  I set out to investigate.  This is what I discovered.   Most of them are watching football. 

I am not a skier myself, but I do love our Rocky Mountains, and I love the snow.  I just love it more when my feet are planted firmly on the ground and I am not attached to running boards which propel me down a mountain at high rates of speed that my body has no intention of keeping up with.   I definitely fall into that 90% category. 

Today I set out with the intention of enjoying a winter hike.  Yak-traks are friends for your feet if you want to spend time outdoors on a trail packed with snow.  They are springs that fit on the bottom of your snow boots to help keep you from slipping. 

Because I prefer to set out early in the morning, a cup of coffee is in order.  I choose to travel up to Mud Lake Trail, which is just north of Nederland on Highway 72, stopping first at Buffalo Bill’s Coffee and Confections for a latte.  Nothing like coffee in a train car.


Off to Mud Lake.

The trail takes me through aspen groves, which are beautiful even when leaf-less.  I cannot see Mud Lake.  At one point during my hike, I realize that said lake is under my feet.  Note to self as well as to others:  Stay on the marked trail. 



Spending a number of hours on the trail in the fresh air and sunshine worked up an appetite.  I head into Estes Park for a late lunch.  I will not mention the restaurant.  Very disappointing.  My chicken was cold.  The people next to me did not get what they ordered.  Needless to say, it was not a good experience.  However, at every table around me there is chatter about football.  To the left of me sits a young boy, maybe 10, who plays little league football and is discussing plays and games with his father.  He is also well-educated in the field of pro football. The table directly in front of me sit two gentlemen arguing over the best college football team of the year. The table to my right chimes in with their opinion.  And finally, an elderly lady across the room is informing her hard-of-hearing husband that the Broncos will be playing on Saturday, not Sunday this week. The food may not have been good, but the conversation sure was. 

Heading home after a beautiful sunny Colorado snow-packed day I am again thankful for this beautiful place I get to call home.  You don’t have to be a skier to love a Colorado winter. There are a number of destinations not far from home that can be taken advantage of that don’t include skis.  I have a quote in my journal that says this:


“You are not a bear.  Do not hibernate.”

 Words of wisdom.  Good advice for the 90%. Happy hiking. 
                                                                    Go Broncos.

Comments