A Day at the Race Track--Or So I Thought.....


I consider myself a writer; A good writer. I am going to college for journalism. I write a monthly column. I don't usually have trouble finding words. But this story is different. It is hard for me to pen words that will match the emotions attached to it. I want so much for it to be better than good, I want it to inspire. I have written and re-written it a dozen times. It is a lengthy story, summarized in one amazing man--George Brossman. While I fail to find the words, I do want to tell his story. Please read on. Be inspired. Believe there is Someone out there who has a higher purpose for you than you might imagine. Here goes.


On May 19, 2013 I ventured out to Milliken, Colorado with my camera and a notebook. Covering a story for my monthly column, "On the Road with Cherie," I had planned to write about the races. Not any races, mind you; The Lawnmower races! I had the most fun a hick-chick-turned-city-girl like myself could ask for! My mouth was filled with grit from smiling against flying dirt clods, my camera lenses covered in dust, and my cheeks rosy from being in the hot sun.  Good company, exciting races and a cold beer made the afternoon far exceed my expectations. I'm a groupie now. There’s another race this Sunday and you can bet I will be there. 

 

Now let me introduce you to George. This is his third year racing. A champion in both 2011 and 2012, he is no doubt committed to becoming the same in 2013. While experiencing some engine trouble put him third, when you hear his story, he is going to earn 1st place with you.

A family man, this joyful spirit of a person has a contagious personality. You cannot be near him long before a smile crosses your face. A loving husband and doting father, he does not go on the track without a good luck kiss from his wife and two thumbs up from his daughters. For them, this hobby is a family affair.

 

While awaiting the next race to begin, George's story unfolds. I learn that at one time, he was told he would never walk again. I asked for an interview. 

 Invited to dinner that George prepared (he is an excellent chef!), I discovered that racing isn’t the only thing this man takes seriously. Being a great chef is important as well, and there is a huge garden fenced off in the center of their oversized backyard. Yes, in the center. Fresh veggies and fruits are growing there to delight the taste buds. But the more interesting landscaping in their backyard is in the form of a race track. That's right. A race track!!!! A man does not win races without being determined, practiced, and skilled. He takes this seriously! Surrounding his garden is a dirt track.

There is great conversation, lots of hugs from his girls who have named me their honorary Aunt Cherie, and the story comes in pieces.  Never far from my notebook and pen, I am ready to take notes.  His story has to be told in small increments.  It is emotional.  I would not have wanted to hear it all at once, and thankfully, he did not want to tell it all at once.  My account here is abbreviated, but in it you will experience a little of the emotion faced in the telling of it. 

In 1993, George was involved in a tragic accident that took the life of his best friend, seriously injured another, and paralyzed George on his 21st birthday. You see, George and his friends were out partying, just like most newly turned 21 year old kids do. George and two best friends were out lighting the town with their antics, and just like most of us, they believed “it couldn't happen to them,” but it did. Drunk driving will never hit home for most of us like it did for George.  His best friend and driver of the vehicle died after being thrown 190 feet from it upon impact. George was only feet behind him his pelvis crushed and back broken. Awakening three days after the accident, and unaware that he was in a hospital room and had lost 72 hours of his life in a coma, George tells his mom it’s time to go to Water World. It was as he trying to jump out of bed that George realizes that he can't move and something is definitely wrong. He was put into a drug induced coma, so that the nerve damage would have a chance to heal. He still suffers pain from the permanent damage it caused.  

George shares a story of those waking hours after the accident. The doctors told George that he probably would never walk again. Whether you believe in visions or ghosts or not is beside the point. What matters is what George experienced. While lying alone in a bed trying to comprehend this horrific news, George has a visitor.  It is his best friend.  And he had a powerful message for George.  He told him he would walk again. That was all the motivation George needed. I learned very quickly that you don't say "you can't do it" to George. He will turn around and with determination let you know in no uncertain terms that yes, he can. With a visit from the other side and the support of his family and friends, George found the courage to defy the diagnosis. Four months after the accident, George lifted himself from a wheelchair and took four steps toward his mama.

Birthdays haven't been too much fun for George since the accident. It hasn’t always been that way. Born on June 13, 1972 George entered the world "a son, a baby brother,  and a crash test dummy." Determined to keep up with his older siblings, George often found himself with broken bones or stitches. That very determination as a child is what propelled George to become what he is today. A miracle.

 

Lawnmower racing isn't for those who suffer back pain. The ability to maneuver one's weight, hanging off the side of a moving vehicle while using arm strength to control the turns isn't for the weak.  I sat down to ask George about his ability to overcome the odds and hang off a lawnmower like it was a trick pony. In a very courageous, yet emotional voice came a story of a man who had to let go of a great deal of shame concerning a birthday celebration that crushed not only his body, but his spirit. His 21st birthday marked the beginning of a downward spiral that for 20 years, stole the celebration associated with birthdays from George. George again becomes emotional as he recounts the look on his mama’s face as he took those first steps. George's best friend's parents came to visit him regularly, reassuring George that their great loss would have been greater had he given up. You see, this man with infectious laughter seemed to be the healer of the broken hearts surrounding him. His attitude and determination caused others to cling to him.
Happily married now for ten years to my dear friend Susan, and a father of two beautiful daughters, George not only walks but runs. He is always building things (a race track is only one of them, a backyard fort for the girls another). He volunteers at his children's elementary school. He can fix about anything......but that makes sense, because this man fixed a very broken life--his own.


George’s story is a really hard one to tell. I haven’t done it justice. Much of it was told with his head down, staring at his feet. But most of it was told with his head held high, and with courage. He has put the demons to rest, and is finally feeling like his birthday is one worth celebrating. He knows he has been given this life for a reason. It is an honor to have interviewed this man. I think you all should come out and see him for yourself. Did I mention he will turn 41 on June 13th?

 


Next race is this Sunday, June 9th, 2:00 pm at the Burnout Grill @ 1760 Broad Street in Milliken, Colorado. It's on the east side of town. You can't miss it. There's a race track in front of it. You will know George too. He's the one dressed in camo. He briefly and quietly mentioned that he wears camouflage to hide the pain. I’m going to wear it to support my lawnmower racing friend. I have to say I am proud to be part of team “Geo Camo.”  Let the races begin! Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines......

See more pictures of the races at www.cherielewisphotography.photoreflect.com.

Race Schedule at the Burnout Grill:
June 9, 2013 @ 2:00
July 14, 2013 @ 2:00
August 8, 2013 @ 2:00 and
September 8, 2013 @ 2:00.

 

Comments

  1. Great story Cherie! Well done. Love how God works in mysterious ways!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment