To love and be loved......

It is just as selfish not allowing yourself to be loved as it is to withhold love from another. 

I write love stories.  With music.  With my camera.  With words.  I have a passion for people, a passion for love, and when the two collide it is a beautiful thing that translates into romance and I love living it through others.   I like to think of myself as a love story photographer more than a wedding photographer.  And soon I will be a love story blogger just with that intention:  to tell love stories about the couples I am photographing.  I have such a heart for romance!

Some that know me might feel I am absolutely crazy for writing on such a thing, being that I have been single for some 13 years.  I have made minor attempts at relationships.  I quickly love deeply, because I believe two things: One, everyone is worthy of being loved this way, and two, it is easy for me.  But for the most part, I have remained happily single.  The friends who are reading (you know who you are :-D) also know that I love them deeply and I am often far from being able to tell them so because I tend to over-extend myself and I am lost to them.  They miss me when this happens.  And it saddens me, but it also reminds me that they miss me for a reason:  I bring joy, hugs, humor, and love into our relationship. They feel loved when I am present with them. My absence from them leaves them wanting.  Is it not a gift to be loved so, that when you are gone missing, it is felt by those you are attached to?  The reaction of many is to selfishly lash out because they feel rejected.  Oh yeah, I get that.  Rejection is one of the emotions I struggle with on a very huge level....but that's another blog.  :-)

I have few friends that DO NOT understand this, but a few who understand it fully as well, and they keep loving me, knowing I will reappear at a moment in their future.  But the thing I am learning is that it is selfish of me to withhold myself from those who want to love me......especially when I desire to be so loved!   

What a crazy idea, to say NO when someone just wants to love me.  I choose to study, to work, to study and work, in place of the most critical important part of my nature--LOVE. 

It is just as selfish not allowing yourself to be loved as it is to withhold love from another.  This thought made its way into my heart as I was faced with the pain my absence from the lives of some of my friends has caused.

On the other side of the coin is my desire and ease of loving--often without it being returned. But I cannot change this, nor do I want to.  It is part of who I am.  It is in my very soul to love deeply and richly.  To love this way enriches the lives of others.  Often it leaves me, and is not returned.  But when it does, the receiver of love is left with more than before we encountered one another. 

This morning during my quiet time, I realized that this is a characteristic of being created in the image of God.  He just wants to LOVE.  It is His nature.  He loves and although the recipients of His love may flee, He has done it, and it is critical to humanity to know it is there.  When my attempts to love are rejected I feel it deeply, yet He faces it so completely every moment....it does not wear Him down....He keeps loving.  He does not get too tired.  There is nothing that can keep Him from it.  It is who He is.  Always. 

So for those who I reach, although I may be silent, there is nothing that can keep me from loving you.  It is who I am, and it is because of who you are.  And I love you.  Even when I am silent. I don't do it as well as the Big Love Guy upstairs does, but it's there.   Always. 

Comments