My "Why's" of Living a Boyfriendless Life

I just read an article from Huff Post.  45 Things that are Better than Having a Boyfriend. Lexi Herrick delivers an amusing and witty piece describing the perks of living boyfriendless. (See her post here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lexi-herrick/things-better-than-a-boyfriend_b_5435700.html)  She got me thinking:  Why haven't I made a list???  I am almost the Queen of Singledom.  I've had encounters.  I've met interesting men, men who spent extensive hours swooning me, men who made me laugh, who entertained me, who were exciting, who were a fresh and new experience in life.  But none have stuck.  For the most part, for the past 13 years I've been pretty good at being Queen Single.  And I've been very okay with that.

In all of her humorous banter, Lexi raises my interest in wondering what MY list would look like.  My list is less "better" and more "why I don't" than anything, but it did get me thinking.  So here's my list, my "whys" of living a boyfriendless life.  Some of the reasons are dead serious.  Some of them are humorous, but definitely still serious.  Here goes:

  1. I raised three girls as a single mom.  That's a lot of estrogen in one household.  Enough said. 
  2. I raised three girls as a single mom.  That's a lot of ammo to keep on hand in case imaginary boyfriend screws up somewhere.  
  3. Poor boyfriend.  There were four women in the house.  
  4. I like road trips.  Car rides that last hours, days, or weeks.  Boyfriendless me gets to decide where, for how long, and what I'm going to do.  
  5. I like stopping for bathroom breaks whenever I darn well please on said road trips.
  6. I get up early.  I stay up late.  I work more than one job at all times.  I am a full time student.  I do not have time for boyfriends. I take pictures, teach music, teach Zumba, go to church, and read obsessively. I laugh too loudly, and drink with my girlfriends.  Can you say "no boys allowed?"
  7. I wonder if I do all those things because I don't have a boyfriend?   No, that can't be it. 
  8. I spent a month on a missions trip in Mexico and I didn't have anyone to tell me the reasons I shouldn't go, or try to convince me that I was choosing Mexico over him or become jealous or threatened enough to try to stop me from traveling.  
  9. Chick Flicks.  
  10. Crying for no reason and not having to explain myself.  
  11. Eye candy.  That's right, you KNOW what I'm talking about.  I get to just stare.  Boyfrienders have to beware.  
  12. I love Jesus, yes I do.  I love Jesus, how 'bout you?  I have discovered very few potential boyfriends with this common interest.  I did discover one who told me that's WHY he couldn't be my boyfriend.  We are good friends.  Just not that kind.  
  13. Sometimes, I don't shave my legs.  'Jes sayin'.  
  14. Wine.
  15. More wine. (Thanks, Lexi.  Yes, I stole this from you. I put it here specifically to mimic you.  Good journalists attract copycats.  And I do love wine.)
  16. There are a number of boyfriends I can beat at arm wrestling.  
  17. I've discovered the pure joy of being sexy because I feel like it, not because it will make someone else happy.  I don't have the pressure of teasing, shutting down advances, or worrying if my makeup and hair are perfect.  I can be just plain sexy in my own skin because I AM.  
  18. I LOVE dancing.  Music and movement.  Some boyfriends do not like dancing, and they don't like sharing their dancing girlfriends with those who do.  Girlfriends unite!  Bring your boogie on.  
  19. Grandbabies.  I love sleepovers and play dates and I would be terribly upset if anyone tried to limit that for me.
  20. I am running out of why's!   
Well, I don't have 45 betters but I have 19 pretty solid whys. As I type I remind myself of this one really critical element in all of this:   Someday I hope NOT to be boyfriendless.  I have a GREAT life.  I'm happy, happy, happy, and blessed so beyond measure it overcomes me at times.  I so believe in the power to love that I know someday there is going to be someone worthy of loving, that is going to love me back, and all of my whys and quirks and fears and preconceived notions will fall away as chaff that the wind blows away. Sometimes you just have to make a list so that you realize you're doing better than okay.   Boyfriendless?  Yep.  And okay with that.  :-)  

Comments