The Poet Awaiting the Judge

A lengthy piece based on some of the poets I have come to know studying literature, this is dedicated to all my poetry and literary junkies who have experienced transformation at the hand of a pen.  :-) You know who you are. If you don't know poetry, perhaps it will inspire you to learn more. It is a poetic piece that explores the emotions a poet may experience at the end of their days when preparing to stand before the Maker. Enjoy! 

The Poet Awaiting the Judge

My roommate, he is
Chaucer his name
Who’s work it would seem
Used laughter for shame.
An intelligent sort
But frightful is he
Who writes outside reason
His text—poetry.

We await turn at the table
An appointment with Judge
Who loves beyond reason
Yet who may hold a grudge
Chaucer the poet
And then there is I
A writer for people
Yes fewer years have passed by.

Our cellmates, we call them
Await the judge as well
A female companion
We are sure doomed to hell
Who cannot control her desire of men
Who marries new lovers
Again and again.

Sir Gawain, quite the fellow
Both naughty and nice
Seems to be quite the saint
Yet romance his vice.
Faithful to his Godhead
Yet to lovers as well
It seems his inner passions
Cause his judgement to swell.

He brings with him witnesses
To lodge his defense
That a good king and princess
Who live on the fence
Between loyalty and love
A young knight in between
But passion holds promise
At the hand of a queen.

Their language is odd
These awaiters that speak
With broken English that sounds
Less English than Greek.
They stand and perform
With passionate gait
And outshout one another
And less impatiently wait. 

And I as a poet
Am shamelessly bold
Interfering with the banter
From these poets of old.
With courage I take
The floor, its my turn!
And I stand there before them
Speak loudly and burn
With quite the same passion
As they, though I know
I’ve balanced my passion
And religion just so.

For how can one wait
On the judge to appear
Knowing they’ve cheated
And dishonored a dear
Woman of interest,
Although five times she’s wed
And charged her with humor
She has made her bed.

The Judge, he has entered!
He shouts Chaucer’s name.
At first I am terrified
Chaucer enters, no shame.
I am not alone scared,
Gawain’s hair stands on end.
A new cellmate?
Margery’s amend!

How I find myself here
Is anyone’s guess.
I have not altered
This spiritual mess.
She believes she’s had Jesus
In a worldly affair
Marrying the Savior?
She’s beyond compare.

How could she enter
With such an innocent smile
When we all know
Her damnations compile
The complete sacrilege
Of altering now
The voice of His Father
She would avow.

In this outrage of sinners
From past until here
Where I sit among spinners
Of heaven come near.
Their tales of religion
Mingled with sin,
Of sexual behavior
Mocks the spirit within.

I should not boast
Of such worldly sludge.
In their shoes I’d be shaking
Before facing The Judge.
My poetry romantic,
But justly so
For my voice is toward marriage
And righteous I go.

Surely my plea of innocence
Will be pure
And accepted by the Judge
Not fooled by demure
And self-serving comics
Who mock him in ways
That are so very offensive
Both yester and always.

During worlds of war
Of fighting for rights
More than impure thoughts
From deep in the nights
Will be found my pardon
My purity secure
From the passing of judgment
To someplace less sure.

From churches to bedlay
These poets poke fun
At the hand of the Judge
Who will pardon but one
That lives by His handshake
His approval intact,
And attach pardon fully
In one selfless act.

As I wait in this room
Of religion and lust
I find myself loathing
The simplified, just
Because of their wandering
Pilgrimage lost
And their adamant tossing
Of very high cost.

Do they not care
That The Judge will appear
And condemn them to hell
As one caught by a spear.
I sit in my chair,
Feeling confident yet
That they have found their fortune
And their eternity met.

Believing their guidance
Has been skewed
In their misbelief
They embrace rude
Behavior and language
Mingled with God
In a manner unseemly for
One whom we laud.

How can he for instance,
In Canterbury Tales,
Make fun of the Miller
Or one of the males
In a place of misfortune
Or a place so content
As to bring on a pilgrimage
Of worldly descent.

And what of this Margery
Who thinks she’s all that
Married to Christ,
Lying on a mat?
My poet is suffering
At the thought of such prose.
The ugly development
Of thumbing my nose.

Quietly I must wait on The Judge
For my entrance
Into his chamber
To show him my penance.
I alone             feel I am worthy
To take a part
In His chamber so fully
A part of His art.

One I had believed
Current society so ugly
Yet these poets of old
Have driven me pugley.
A creator of language
Of love and of light
To drive out this darkness
And blackness of night.

How in this century
Of modern delights
Concerned with technology
And money and sights
Have I concerned myself fully
In the beauty of words
Yet discovered so sharply
We are far from the Lord’s
Grand scheme of His greatness
And beauty and grace
To find out our forerunners
Have driven the race.

Again the door opens,
The Judge coming in,
And He calls on Margery.
Did I witness a grin?
He has pleasure in the presence
Of this woman insane?
I find I feel faint
And my strength is wane.

What if I an educated,
Spiritual man
Have been mislead
Into wishful clan
Of religion and purity
And just one right way
To find it all rubbish,
And be cast away?

Could He so love her,
The bride that would claim
That the Father of Father has
Chosen her name
Betrothed to the son
Whom we all believe single
Could actually have been
Chosen to mingle
Amongst angels and beings
Much stronger than I
Into a world
Of intimate why?

Suddenly shaken,
My heart tossed about,
My poetry failing,
My body to shout
Against what seems treason
Of the life I believe
Should only be mine
From The Judge to receive!

To my right yet another,
A fairytale king,
Who writes of a table
And a knight and a ring,
Seems confident in losing
The love of his wife,
In favor of honor,
Giving his life.

Am I the lost poet
The one cast away?
Will The Judge disapprove me,
And leave me today?
Have these others
With words and rhythm
And lust
Be the avenue The Judge seeks
Serving the Just?

Fearful I wait,
My courage waning
Until He comes calling
My name in the dawning.
I stand, my head spinning,
My heart quickly beating
As I understand
The fate I am meeting.

Perhaps He is greater,
Far greater is He
That I cannot fathom
What good poetry be.
From churches to harlots,
From humor to death,
His gavel will fall
As a monster on meth.

In angst I do follow
Up a long flight of stairs.
Fog and light falling
A sound fills the air
The sound of one calling
To come join the throng.
Suddenly I learn
I’ve been terribly wrong.

They stand there awaiting,
At hell’s fiery door
Reaching to grab me
As I reach the floor.
I sense the looming fear
At the door
As I reach the threshold
Of writing no more.

In my terror I’m running
But can’t find the door
To escape all the madness
I am facing once more.
Where have I landed?
An English glen?
Where both saints and sinners
Are beginning again?

I’ve been handed a pencil
And paper to write
And given a freedom
To write beyond sight.
The Judge does not reject
Any of those who have gifts
Of sharing with the masses
Words beyond rifts.

Before me stands Chaucer,
Completing his work,
Which now I am learning
Is much less a jerk
Than I had decided before
Entering in
Finding our heaven
Lives from within.

There stands Margery,
Next to the man,
She believed as her savior
As nobody can.
They words she is writing
Are close to her heart and
Accepted by Father,
The Judge all a part.

Entering behind
Is the king and his lady
Awaiting the entrance
Of the knight not so shady
As one would have thought,
As he loves the king,
But loves more his woman
Than any other thing.

The Judge lifts his gavel
With strength of hot fire
Pronounces us equal
And all safe from retire.
A pen in our hands
Life’s eternal paper,
The words will keep coming,
And morals will taper.

There is evolution
In words and in living.
To be excellently sure,
The poet keeps giving.

Comments