A Boy Without a Name

I am sitting on the patio of a grocer's cafe in the afternoon sun, enjoying my lunch while reading the newspaper.  The sight of a young boy, surely not more than 10 years old is carrying two grocery bags. He ties them to his bicycle handlebars and takes out of his worn backpack a very old cell phone.

"Hi, Mama, I got the soup you like. And some potatoes." A pause ensues, encouraged, I assume by the response on the other end of the line. "Thank you for letting me get the game, Mama. Its the best present ever! Yes, they had it. I will be home in a few minutes. I'm leaving right now."

An excited, sweet face grins as he tucks the cell phone into his backpack. He is very careful to look both ways before beginning his trip home with his mother's requests and his new game.

Why was I so impressed to think on this young person? In my mind I imagine scenes from What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Is his mother ill? Disabled? Obese? From my side of the conversation I understood that this boy was caring for his mother. She was waiting for him at home and he had been running errands. His responses, gentle, full of respect, and loving while on the phone gave me the impression this little boy was grateful he could help his mother. His voice was marked with obvious affection when he said her name--Mama. 

He rides away and I smile. What a fine boy. His clean, dark skin and curly hair, bright, intentionally observant eyes, and that fresh smile will forever be etched in my mind. I whisper a prayer to the One who created this masterpiece of a child, and ask Him to bless this precious boy, and the mother who is raising him to be so fine a young man.

I watch his image disappear down the street. I realize I am less eager to serve my employer than this boy is to serve his mama, even though he is but a fragment of my age. I decide to close my eyes for one last moment, face the sunshine, and allow the attitude of a grateful child soak into my being.

Things I learned from a beautiful young stranger:

  1. Be respectful.
  2. Be grateful.
  3. Don't let circumstances define how you feel.
  4. Don't let circumstances define who you are. 
  5. Face the sunshine.
  6. Be observant.
  7. Play a game. It could be the best present you ever got. 
  8. Call your mama. 
  9. Ride a bike. 
  10. Whatever chore there is to tackle, do it with a smile. 
  11. Be satisfied with the work being done, and do it to please another. Its not all about me. 
  12. A little boy can be an amazing life coach. 

May your day be filled with childhood wonder. Live today. Its been given to you as a gift.

Comments