Shelter Parenting

I work in an emergency room now, and it is making me realize how extreme the human existence can be. From extreme joy to extreme sadness, all things emotional can be changed in a moment of time.

These experiences are causing me to view the way I've lived my life, and the way I raised my children.

I have over the years, realized the harsh and strict rules I put on their living. I was conservative and judgmental. These are characteristics I am intolerant of now. This softening came with maturity and the realization that grace has covered me for the whole of my 52 years.

The sheltering of my children from the world, though? This I am not sorry for. There is inherent evil in the world. It took years before I saw it. I just knew it was there. Now I see it daily. There are so many things that can harm a child, and it makes me so grateful for the strict rules I put in place. I was protecting them.

At times, tears fill my eyes. I can't believe the things that are acceptable to some. It makes me downright sick to my stomach. Lifestyles. The way adults choose to live after they leave the shelter of their homes.

Life is so precious. From birth until life ends. I get to watch it daily from start to finish. I want to hold and snuggle the newborn. I want to hold and heal the aged. I want to comfort the sick. I want to take away the pain.

I want to protect. 

Did I shelter my kids? Yes I did. I hope I kept them safe enough. There are just things that children don't need to know.

I don't think there's anything wrong with shelter parenting. Its actually very important. Your kids are going to make decisions on their own. But its up to their parents to protect them, be their safe place, be the place they can trust to be their refuge.

Did I do it perfectly? No, I did not. But with this view of how very bad this world can be, I'm glad I did it by sheltering them.  Their lives are worth it.

A note to my kids: I'm so proud of you. I love the adults you have become. I love how well you are parenting your own kids. Thank you for being the safe place for my grandchildren. I love you so much, I can't even explain it. Look into the eyes of your babies. You'll know.




Comments