And the Summer Season Ends.....

Although true that today is Labor Day and summer does not officially end until September 22, it seems that today marks the end of summer for those who are squeezing one last long weekend out of our warm weather. 

I've not ventured outdoors today. I've stayed indoors wearing comfy clothes and a hoodie because the house is cool even though the outdoor temperature is 77 degrees. 

Autumn is my favorite season! Yes, I say it with enthusiasm. After having an extraordinarily warm summer with smoke-filled days, I am among masses who are glad to see cooler days coming. 

I've lit an apple pumpkin candle (yes, I am one of those pumpkin people), and let cloudy skies light my room where I'm curled up with a warm-fuzzy read. Because I have been dealing with a good number of "anxious thoughts," Jan Karon's At Home in Mitford is my current book of choice and I feel anxiety lift, and patience exist while I take advantage of Father Tim's wisdom today.

Others I know, those who actually labor, are laboring hard on this Labor Day holiday. I am reminded that many do not have the luxury of curling up with a good book and mug of warm coffee. Laborers, thank you for all of your hard work, work that puts fuel in our gas tanks and roofs over our heads and groceries on our shelves, to name but a few of your professions working hard for your communities today. 

The leaves are changing early this year in Colorado. I went for a short drive yesterday, and I was both saddened and delightfully surprised at the number of trees already shedding their summertime greenery. Saddened that it is happening so early, delighted to see splashes of happy color signalling the change of seasons. 

I love summer. I love all seasons, truth be known, but I love sun-kissed skin and getting dirty and doing outdoor things like hiking and camping. I only went camping once this year, which is NOT enough, and in a tent. I was a car-camper before it was a trending "thing," and always store a pillow and a sleeping bag in my trunk....just in case I don't want to come home and its nighttime. I know I have a few more of those nights in me before it gets too cold. 

This changing of seasons this year, I have to admit, is welcome. I've been unemployed, yet experienced the pleasure of doing a couple of fun photo shoots and pet-sitting for humans who have become friends rather than acquaintances. I'm grateful for these people in my life, and for the furry friends that make our relationships more interesting and bond friendships. 

Every day over countless weeks, I've interviewed successfully, for positions I've not been chosen for. My earnest and grateful prayer has been one of thanksgiving, that I've not taken a job I am not supposed to be in, and that I am still available for the one I am supposed to take. 

As the seasons change, I allow my fears and worries to melt away in the pages of sweet words, scented candles, and changing leaves. Instead of being stressed to the point of inability, I am allowing my leaves to change early, investing some extra spare time (which I rarely use wisely, much less take) and make that transition from this stressful season I've been in, into one of peace, shorter days, brighter colors, and moments of rest. 

Apples and pumpkins, cooler days, longer nights, hot cider, and corn chowder. Sitting by the fire, planning upcoming holidays, and getting into the swing of the new school year. Putting behind what is loss, and looking forward to what will return renewed. 

Farewell, Summer. 

Happy early arrival, Sweet Autumn. 




Comments

  1. Refreshing like reading a letter from a friend.May the Lord Bless you with the position where your light shines for him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment