Learning to be Present

Life has been a whirlwind for two months of taking care of others and not getting a moment to myself. It's interrupted work and relationships. It has emotionally exhausted me. Then this weekend, I had a Saturday with no errands to run or work to accomplish. Still awakening early, I cleaned my house, I relished in home, I cooked, stayed in my jammies all day, and just took my time doing whatever. It was beautiful. 

Then came Sunday. I was off to watch the Broncos play football and enjoy a few beverages with friends. But my car wouldn't start. What? Why? But instead of losing m' chickens and getting irritated and upset, I decided it was a determination that I still needed another day of rest. 

Oh blessed rest. I could have called Roadside Assistance, and found that my battery was dead and had it charged and been off to the busyness of a social gathering, but I decided to wait. I knew I could wait until morning. I decided to be present in the moment and love being home. 

Two hours late to work this morning, I was still being present in the moment. After calling for help, I had 60 minutes to wait for a jump.

I didn't lose my chickens. I didn't get upset. 

I've been praying, almost complaining but really just requesting time to sit outside and read. One of my favorite things to do on a chilly fall morning? Sitting outdoors, wrapped up in a comfy-warm-something with my coffee and reading. 

A small desire, yet a desire of my heart. Big and small, God has issued a granting of the places and things I desire, sometimes years later.  What may seem small to some, was huge for me. I just had to be present in the moment today to realize He was giving me that very thing my heart needed. Chilly autumn air, and an hour to read outdoors. 

This is what can happen if we learn to be present in the moment, if we look beyond the circumstances and see the possibility of what IS

My desire was satisfied because I stayed present in the moment. He gave me exactly what my heart needed. 

Goodness awaits if we just slow down, be still and watch for it. Instead of "Really, now THIS?" I was able to say, "Yes, this." 

It isn't easy, learning to be present. But I am living a life that proves it is possible. I used to live in a way that just bombarded me with chaos and negative thoughts. It has taken years to learn that all things work together for good, because I love Him. And today, He gave me another reason to do just that. :-) 

Comments