HALF-DONE

©CherieElainePhotography2020
This morning, surrounded by many half-done projects and chores, my mind took a ride through the first month of the year wondering if I was going to complete anything. Dishes in the sink and on the counter, but awaiting a good washing. Clothes washed and dried but awaiting folding and putting away. Books scattered all over the floor while I decided what I wanted to read. Couch covers half on, and half off. An unmade bed. 

The view was both disturbing and enlightening. I need to get moving and shaking and gettin' it all done. I wasn't feeling too good about it. It paved the way for a bit of nonsense self-slamming that was not even reasonable. 

Sometimes looking at  pretty things, visually calming myself, and listening to head-clearing music is the best relief I can find. Tranquil music filled the room, and this lovely photo filled my vision. 

Half-done. The aspen leaf above was about that, half-done, and yet it caught my eye. It's simple mood and shape and intricate color palette as it was changing caused me to to find it extraordinary and lovely and worthy of a photograph. I wondered if trees in autumn feel pain or exhaustion as they go through the process of finishing the work before winter? 

What happens when they are done? When winter expires? When spring ensues? They scatter across the forest floor a blanket of unkempt foliage. Is it degrading to be half-done? 

Children jump into a pile of raked up leaves for the pure joy of it! Project half-done. Raked, but not picked up. Washing the car in the driveway? Turn on the hose for a rinse, but spray your partner and engage in water play first. Half-done! What about eating cookie dough? Cookies, half-done! 

AND THEN THERE'S FOOTBALL. Superbowl tomorrow! How many people are just waiting for the game to be half-done so they can enjoy half-time????

I had forgotten that half-done means it's already started. Half-done means there's just that same distance left to the finish line. Half-done means resting in this moment so that the other half is less daunting. 

Now the chores are nearly finished. What a sense of accomplishment. It wouldn't have felt half this good to finish had it not been daunting half-way. 

Have a good day. May it give you cookie dough moments. :-)
Much love. 



Comments