THE BLESSING JAR

It is the day after Thanksgiving, and as is the tradition I've held dear for a good number of years, I began putting Fall decorations away and introducing Christmas decor in it's place. 

I've a pumpkin candle burning next to me, complimenting the light from my Christmas tree as well as the delicious smells of the feast we enjoyed yesterday. I spent two days cooking, trying for the first time homemade mincemeat and cranberry sauce. They were delightful additions to our traditional Thanksgiving dinner. There is so much joy preparing a meal to share. My mother and I haven't had Thanksgiving together for probably 20 years. I've not prepared a Thanksgiving meal for about 10 of them. Some traditions are carried on the wings of your children when the nest empties. Now they are creating their own. 

Two traditions, though, stuck. It gives me so much joy to see them carry some of them on, even when I can't be with them. 

One. After having the most delicious meal of the year, watching White Christmas as the day comes to a close is one of our favorite ways to merge into Winter celebrations. 

Two. The Blessing Jar.

Beginning the 1st of November, there is a jar in view with pens and note cards visible enough that anyone who enters, and feels thankful for any little thing can write it down and drop it in the jar.  

When my kids were young, on Thanksgiving morning we would pass the jar (early on, a decorated shoe box) drawing a card and taking turns reading the blessing aloud. This year was different for me, as I was the only contributor, and the only reader. But somehow those blessings really clung to my spirit. 

And my spirit clings to HIS.  

Do you know what it feels like to move to a new town and start a new job, and live in a new place and begin a completely different life? Some of you do. 

Do you know what that feels like when you are recently recovering from a seven procedure surgery, and your father passes on, and you leave the nest yourself to build a new one elsewhere while all your birdlings are left behind? Not to mention, your best friend and roommate and dogs and comfort of a big leather chair? 

I'm not alone here. Far from it. Everyone adjusts to change and trials at some point.

My new job includes 34 residents, most over 65, and many going on 90, and one good friend who is my age. They have become my instant family. I didn't even have to add water. My office is a continual flow of visitors. They love me, and I love them. 

I am especially grateful to be close to my mom and my sister. I love it that I can walk upstairs and there is my mother's apartment. I can drive four minutes and arrive at my sister's house. We get together once a week or so for lunch and have spent some fun Sunday afternoons together. I'm so thankful to be CLOSE to her now! 

I have a good friend here and it is such a surprise that God would have  her waiting when I arrived. 

This is but a partial list of the many notes I dropped into my blessing jar. There are so many things to be thankful for this year. Many hardships. Many dangers, toils and snares. I HAVE overcome. I AM strengthened. And I DO have joy in this new place. And I am chasing those blessings.

As Christmas chaos begins, may we be ever mindful of the vessel, the jar that we are, and may we continue to fill it to the brim with love notes of blessing so that we might go into the season with grateful hearts that overflow into others. 

Peace and Love, 

Cherie






Comments