TIRED, NOT DEPLETED

 

©CherieElainePortraitBoutique2022

Snow is gently falling, yet it is falling quickly. Streets, cars, sidewalks and trees are covered in six or eight inches already. It is a lovely, restful day. It is a day made for tea and books and meditation and music. 

Listening to an Oprah Winfrey cast this morning, these words stood out in a weary mind that needs rescued.  "It is okay to wake up tired....but not depleted." 

Three or four hours of sleep should be the culprit of physical exhaustion, but leave the heart and mind intact. 

Um, WOW. 

"My cup runneth over," says the Psalmist in Chapter 23. How can a cup run over if it is empty? 

Empty cup is something I know much about. It is consistently being poured out before it can be refilled, much less overflowing. 

Have you read the book Boundaries by Doctors Cloud and Townsend? In a few short words, it teaches saying no before the cup is dry. I am constantly seeking new skills to help lead me in the way of righteousness. This book is fantastic.

It's okay to be tired, as long as you aren't depleted. 

David, the Psalmist sought rest. Jesus sought rest. I thought I sought rest, until I realized this morning that I was seeking escape. I've been depleted for six long months (previous blogs explain why). I desire sleep because my mind and my heart are depleted, and not in balance with the my body requiring it. As a result, my body is not getting what it needs!

This was a particularly hard week at my job. As a result, my "work" (being photography) was paid no attention. My body was zapped, my mind emptied of anything but job related stuff. 

Depleted. Run dry. Because I didn't call a halt. And I didn't know I could. 

"He leads me beside the still waters.....
        He retores my soul....."
©CherieElainePortraitBoutique2022
He leads us to the water. It's our responsibility to dip our toes in. He fills the cup. It's our job to bring a cup along. He gives rest. It's our job to say no so that there is adequate time for it. He gives His beloved sleep (Psalm 127:2). Precious sleep. 

Children are walking down the street in what is now knee-deep snow. Joyful sounds are coming from them as they are wearing their bodies out at the same time they are filling their young souls. 

They will be tired, but not depleted. 

I love you. Rest your weary souls. 
Cherie
"The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul';
He leads me in the paths of righteousness 
For His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the
 valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
They comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in 
the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy 
shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the 
house of the LORD
Forever." 
--Psalm 23 (New King James Version)

Comments