IN OUR FATHER'S EYES


©CherieElainePhotography2023

I love photographing my dog. She is elegant and sweet and very much poses for my camera. This particular day, what I loved about it was zooming in on her eyes. I could see my reflection in them. 

As a mom, one of the sweetest compliments we can receive is that our child looks just like us. Often called "Mini-Me" we have pride in the image of ourselves in the little people we have brought into this world. 

Let's wonder a little, shall we? Let's wonder at the beauty of being seen. We all desire to be noticed, perhaps not by a crowd of people, but for something we've done. Perhaps not by what we've done but for who we are. Perhaps not by who we are but our special space in this wide world and what it means. 

When I see my reflection in my dog's eyes, I know she sees me. She adores me.

Let's wonder again. Let's wonder, if as God's children, He loves seeing Himself reflected in our eyes. Does He long to hear someone say we look like Him? 

I have always felt intimidated that I am created in His image, that His Holy Spirit lives within me. I wave my hands up and down along my body size and think, "in this?" and sometimes I follow up with "ew" or "sorry about that." 

My dog doesn't care if she is fat or thin or young or old. She only has three legs. She had a traumatizing first year of life. I rescued her from that. And when she looks at me, when she sees me, she loves what she sees. I am her human. I saved her. She loves me for it. And I can see myself in her eyes. 

During this Christmas season, let's remember that Jesus came to rescue us. He rescued us from trauma and addiction and unbearable pain and made it bearable and gives us peace and saved us from our sad and sinful selves. Let Him see Himself reflected in our eyes. Let us love Him adoringly as He loved us first. He rescued us so that He could. 

Love you. 

©CherieElainePhotography2023

Comments