Things are Not as They Seem

I'm watching the news this morning, watching the weekend weather and a commercial comes on for an entertainment/reality show featuring magicians. The thought crosses my mind, "Hmmm......things are not as they seem." 

Not to diminish what God is doing in my very ordinary life, but the thought struck me so strongly that things are not what they seem. 

While ordinary, it is also often frightening. Always health issues. When I get one under control another pops up. The scariest one I can think of is threatening my sanity right now, and until I get done with tests on Tuesday, I am going to feel uneasy, to say the least. 

But things may not be as they seem. Could be false alarms. 

I've been "unemployed" for two months now. My last three photo shoots cancelled or postponed. This threatens the only source of income I rely on right now and I find I need $1,000 by Monday. 

But things may not be as they seem. Could be there is a check in the mail. 

Watching these illusionists pull off amazing feats of making things disappear and reappear, of seemingly knowing what card is where, or what lives in the bottom of the purse of a complete stranger has me fascinated by my lack of faith. If a human being can pull off such amazing acts of magic, why am I so unable to believe a God who pulls off such amazing acts of miracles? 

I am going through REALLY frightening things right now. Some of you are too and know exactly what I'm saying. You just don't know what's going to happen next. But you NEED something good, something REAL, tangible, miraculous. 

This is the good news. What God can do is real. It is not an illusion. It is not a trick. It does not satisfy the imagination or consume us with awe struck wonder immediately, but just the same, things are not what they seem. 

My faith and trust in human time are challenged. God isn't confined by these things. I don't know what He's going to do. 

Even if I lose my car, or I am really sick, things still aren't as they seem. It means there is some miraculous thing awaiting me that I can't see yet. I'm just waiting for the big reveal. 

I will be the amazing reveal that He has confounded others with. And in me, He will be seen. He is going to take my breath away. He is the Great Illusionist, making a way where there seems to be no way. But it will be REAL.

I am ordinary, He is not.

Things are not as they seem. 

Comments