FINDING JOY UNDER QUARANTINE

©CherieElainePhotography2020
I have a confession to make. Staying within 10 miles of my home isn't exactly where I'm landing to get some fresh air lately. Anyone not from Colorado have the same regulations?

I live 10 miles north of downtown Denver. I head east often, as I like the small towns and rural life, and my grandkids live there. I head west, but I just run into suburbia so 10 miles isn't much different from home. If I head north, there's traffic. Not a ton right now, but it's industrial and there is also a newer kind of suburbia. 

So I cheat. I don't know that photography is considered an essential business. But getting to the mountains is essential for this photographer. 

The past few days have been hard. I'm experiencing anxiety attacks. Yesterday it kept me indoors. The day before it had me in tears. This morning? I fought back, and I prayed and I wrote in my journal and I prayed some more. 

And then I drove to the mountains. 

No matter how hard I tried today, I couldn't get a handle on what I was feeling. 

After a couple of hours of driving, and a picnic lunch, and sitting at a river's edge and resting my weary heart, I was able to narrow it down. 

I don't want things to go back to normal. 

©CherieElainePhotography2020
I am enjoying less traffic. I am enjoying being home. I am enjoying life behind my camera (and that's where I'm supposed to be, anyway!), I am enjoying naps, I am enjoying cooking and eating, I am enjoying sinking myself into books and playing my guitar and going for walks every day!

I am NOT ready to go sit behind a desk and work for someone else again. Just...not yet....

I know this has taken a HUGE toll on us financially. I know so many of us are at risk dealing with a very sickly populous. I know we have to wear masks and can't hug our neighbors. 

But can you feel the JOY? 

©CherieElainePhotography2020
Being under a stay-at-home order has made my heart glad. I hope I'm not being insensitive. I know there are people going through hell right now, who have lost jobs and loved ones and have struggled to be well. I know. And I am praying daily for this pandemic to END. 

What I don't want to see end? Our ability to enjoy being supportive of others, our ability to enjoy slowing down, our ability to appreciate the absolute joy of being with loved ones and embracing others in hugs, and for heaven's sake, clean air! We've taken so much for granted. 

Look for the joy. We can't do anything about it. It is what it is. It's awful. And it's wonderful. Don't take the slow days for granted. 

Love you.






 


Comments