INFERTILITY ..... A GRANDMA'S HEART

So many of my friends and acquaintances know me as mom first and grandma first-and-a-half. My kids and their spouses and their kids are the joys of my life. 

Often I am asked if Sarah and Weston are going to have kids. I have to answer bravely and swiftly before tears sting my eyes. I most often just say yes. People, in general, are nosey and want more details, but I offer few. Sometimes I find myself stumbling over words trying to answer. 


Why tears behind my answers? Because I am mommy first, and the brokenness of my baby girl hits my heart HARD before the answers reach my lips. I know how much she wants this. I know her tears could fill buckets. I know it takes enormous faith to trust God when you feel so incredibly disillusioned.

 

This is my daughter. I won't ever talk to the tiny person growing in her belly, or take maternity portraits of her that we have saved the idea for just her for years, or hold her hair back because she is having morning sickness, or hear the heart beating from deep within her. This grandma's heart HURTS. 

 

But then.....

 

I answer yes and manage a sincere smile. Because yes, they ARE having kids. They are just building their family in a less common way. Their "adopted" kids are my grandkids and I am already in love with them, even though they aren't here yet! 

 

It is still anticipation. It is still impatient love. It is still looking into the face of my grandchild and knowing what a precious gift they are. It is still the waiting to meet this young person whose very existence on earth equals blessing. Oh this grandma's heart! 

 

There IS going to be joy! There IS going to be a Baby Bee. 

 

Sarah, my sweet youngest daughter, has been quite honest and brave sharing her infertility story. I encourage you to read her own words at https://www.joyful-pursuits.com/blog/

 

Please share these words with someone you know who might be going through the same thing. Read Sarah's blog, as well. October is Infertility Awareness Month. Be sensitive. Be strong. Be a listener. Pray for strong hearts and minds, kind words and gentleness. It takes courage to face these things. 

 

Love you. I'm glad you're here. 

 

Sarah and Weston and their furbaby, Ivory. 
©CherieElainePhotography2020

 

Comments