A New Year Only Matters if You Do It Differently

2016. Another chance to do things differently.

Decisions, rather than resolutions are encouraging my indulgence in the wise words of others this morning, the first morning of the new year.

     "Write the book you want to read."  --Austin Kleon, Artist
     
     "What is to give light must endure burning."  --Victor Frankl, Nazi prison camp survivor

     "You might have an unlived life hidden inside....maybe all the difficulties are really just soil and sustenance for this unlived life to grow."  --Chris Orwig, Photographer and Author

     "He brought me up out of a horrible pit,
      Out of the miry clay,
      And set my feet upon a rock,
      And established my steps."  --King David, The Holy Bible

I spend time very early each morning in the quiet dark. Listening. Reading. Writing. Praying.

This morning I did it quite differently. I opened my journal and a brand new box of crayons and I started creating.

I am not an artist outside of the camera or a stringed instrument or words on a page, but I had this deep desire to begin creating a colorful picture of what I want my life to look like. It opened my heart up in a new way, and I felt grateful. For what I have right now, today. And for my ability to see what I want. And coloring, just as a child sees a masterpiece in the making, helped me see I am a masterpiece in the making.

YOU ARE A MASTERPIECE IN THE MAKING. 

I finished this morning with these few words penned in my journal, that I want to leave you with as we begin this year doing things perhaps just a little differently, a little more colorfully.

     Write
          and dream
               and sing.
                    Passion should not end
                         but be change.
                              A better world
                                   A bigger heart
                                           Because of courage
                                                         Choosing Love
                                                                      I can change
                                                                    One person's world
                                                                                      One word
                                                                                            One step
                                                                                                   At a time.

Happy New Year. I pray it is filled with treasure, blessing, color, and above all these things? LOVE.


Comments