Someone has to Flip the Burgers

I made an observation yesterday, a recurrence of something I already knew, really. We, humans, divide ourselves into classes of people.

I was in a room filled with people who had completed master's programs. For some, their first names had been changed to "Doctor." While they took notes on their MacBooks, I took notes in my notebook. You know, the kind with paper and a pen? Someone actually commented that they didn't care about my first college degree. Honey, this is my only college degree.

While they were discussing dropping $500 here and there and mocking those less educated than themselves, I was searching for an extra five cents to buy a bottle of water.

Then this question to came to mind: It wasn't a matter if they believed they were better than me, because clearly they did, but did I believe it?







Intelligence comes in varying degrees. AND EVERYONE HAS IT. It should not be regulated by financial status, or the number of letters that follow your name, or the job you have, or the way you live. Everyone has been issued a level of intelligence!




Before you start knocking the guy that flips your burgers or the gal who gives you change at the convenience store, remember that without them, you don't get a burger, and you don't get change. They are just as good as everyone else, and maybe even better, because they are serving you.



Money can't buy you everything. It can buy you a degree and a fancy car and even a bottle of water. But it can't buy you class. I live in a bedroom, not a house. I drive an old car, not a shiny new SUV. I don't even have a smartphone. And I was short five cents. Should that even matter?



I've been a donut fryer and a coffee server for people who pulled all-nighters with someone who was not their spouse. I have cleaned vomit off of mattresses and floors where rich, drunken athletes have left their mark. When you look at it that way, money and status do NOT make you better than anyone else.

We are ALL EQUAL. Different gifts and capabilities. In fact, the word disability should not be applied to intelligence at all and I hope I never hear it again. Lets call it diffability and apply it to everyone. How's that? Created with different abilities and levels of intelligence. Yes. I like that.

We forget that every person has a story, and their story is worthy of telling. We shouldn't judge people because they haven't been educated for the same amount of time as some have or had the luxury of the same amount of money some have. Someone flips your burger, paves the road you drive on, and milks the cow that delivers your cream.

So don't diss the small guy. They have big shoes to fill. Maybe she is a single mom with three kids and a husband who left her. I know people with big money that happened to. Did I mention her first name is Doctor? He might be a construction worker who has a kid in baseball, and he serves slushies at the games so he can afford for him to play.

Equality. A hard-working America. Filled with hard-working diffabled Americans. No, I didn't misspell it. Its just my new word. :-) Brilliant.

Comments