Does Setting Goals Mean Always Tired?

The reality of pursuing goals comes with the certainty of sacrifices, one in particular: SLEEP.  

There are some who have the luxury of capital to get their small businesses off the ground. Those people are going to tell you it was exhausting....and if its exhausting for them, the ones who have money to jump in with both feet, then imagine the exhaustion for those who have to work full-time and can only jump in one foot at a time. These are the ones who have to work overtime, or two or three jobs while pursuing the goal. These are the sleep deprived.

Maybe this is why so many give up. Maybe this is why we play "red light, green light." We play with our goals as though they are some kind of playground game at recess. We also know it isn't how to succeed. We know it takes  pounding the pavement at 104 degrees barefoot and hoping for a win.

Believing it is possible isn't the problem. Having the energy to make it happens is. Is coffee the answer for those of us who don't have enough cash but have more than enough will to make the goal a reality? 

I've been studying brain foods and trying to bless my body with those. I've been reading about how certain formats of exercise can increase focus and also aid in relaxation. I'm a HUGE fan of Yoga and believe it has really helped me a lot. But finding time and energy for my beloved Refit® classes seems to escape me. 

I know the adage that one must make time. "Get up an hour early" and "If you want it bad enough you will make time for it." But when I am already getting up at 5:00am, and trying to keep all of my many hats in order, the fact remains there are still only 24 hours in a day! 

I have finally accepted the fact that this is not the time to relish in sweet sleep of a Sunday afternoon nap. If I'm going to reach my goals, I'm going to be tired. Yes, its a fact. I'm just going to BE TIRED. 

So where does that commanded day of rest come in? How to set aside sacred weekly rest seems out of reach. Surely its necessary because:

  •      When I'm tired I want to quit. 
  •      When I'm tired I think less logically. 
  •      When I'm tired I work less efficiently. 
  •      When I'm tired, I cry more. 


So is being tired really going to improve my odds of success? 

Yes. The answer is YES. It is the blood, sweat and tears. It is the middle-of-the-night light bulb moment that says, "Hey, that just might work!" Its seeing the vision instead of dreaming about it. 

I feel like I'm doing a lot of work right now trying to be my best. I'm tired of just wondering how to get started. Instead, I'm tired because I'm getting started. 

How about you? Has being tired discouraged you? Have you found a way to overcome it? Have you discovered a way to "make time" in a day that still only has 24 hours? 

Surely I'm not alone when I scream "HELP!" Those of us who are pursuing those dreams really appreciate the input of those who have been through it. And we really appreciate a community of those who say no to the fun stuff so they can say yes to their goals. 

I am looking forward to YOUR ideas and suggestions! And in advance, I thank you, because after I hear from you I may be too tired to do so! 

Comments