POUNDING THE PAVEMENT

©CherieElainePhotography2020
This. Isn't. Working. 

I have answered hundreds of job ads, driven my temp agency batty with follow-up calls, and searched and applied for what feels like a thousand jobs online. So many people are helping. "Try this job site, apply to this position." My application falls to the cutting room floor like so many others who want the same job. So many of us just want to make a living. 

Make a living. Wait, make a living?

WHAT???? 

You mean, it's not just about paying bills? It's about living?

Wow. Lightbulb moment. I love those. 

I have watched my sweet little grand-niece overcome the most difficult odds. When I see her walk or run, tears spring to my eyes. It took so much determination for her little body to gain strength and balance for those first steps. She had to practice, fall, practice, fall.....over and over again. She had a cheering section. We all waited on the other side, telling her she could do it. We screamed with elation and excitement when she did! And you know what? That's all she needed to keep putting one foot in front of the other. She was pounding the pavement until she succeeded. 

Pounding the pavement. I have to go find what making a living means, and what I can do to make it possible. I have to practice, fall, practice, fall.....over and over again.

Last night after searching the dozens of job boards that I have profiles on, I shut my computer down in frustration.......and freedom. 

A couple of years ago, I was at a similar point. I quit staring at the magical screen that was supposed to produce magical results in a magical career field that I could magically be happy in forever and ever. 

I got off my keester, got comfortably dressed up, but dressed like me. I loaded a bag up with everything from resumes and cover letters to matted photographs and newspapers I had found myself writing the cover stories for. 

This simple act of pounding the pavement landed me an art show. It reconnected me with GREAT friends. And it just felt so good to be outside, doing the work, looking for me. 

Today, I'm shutting this baby down. I am standing up again. And I am going to pound the pavement, practice my strut, and take the living part by storm until I make it. 

The words we unabashedly say to a child just learning to walk were just what I needed to tap into, and they are just as important for you. 

Come on, you can do it! Oops, you fell down! It's okay. Ohhhh, it's okay. Let me get those tears. Okay. Try again. Come on, Baby! Yes, yes! You're doing it! You're walking! You're up! 

Now run, Baby, run. We've got you. 

Love you. 






Comments