Just As I Am....

I did not know him personally, but just as many others are mourning today, I feel a sense of loss. Billy Graham, America's great evangelist exited this world yesterday at 99 years of age. Ninety-nine. His entire life seemed to be devoted to sharing who God was, reminding us that we need Him, and that we can come to Him just as we are. 

I wonder if the Bible had been written and published in another time, if Billy Graham would have been included in it right up there with Paul or John. Will another great man of God arise, or are we too self-absorbed to hear the voice of one who cries in the wilderness, who shouts to the Heavens on our behalf? 

My heart hurts because I worry there is no one else to take the reigns. I realize his ministry is kept alive through the efforts of his children. I realize he leaves behind a legacy of believers who will keep it moving. But will there ever be another great voice of the gospel so commanding, yet so compassionate, that people run to meet Jesus?


I remember watching Billy Graham's television specials. I was always so touched, so amazed at the number of people who would respond to the gospel after hearing him. I only went one time to see him personally, at the old Mile High Stadium in Denver. I sat way at the top. When the call to come accept Jesus came after the sermon, and the hymn, Just As I Am, played over the congregation, people moved in droves down the aisles and stairs to move closer to the man who issued the invitation. Thousands were encouraged that whatever they did, whoever they were, they were enough and welcomed into the fold. 

How do you replace someone like that? 

You don't.

What if Billy Graham really is the last great evangelist? Doesn't the responsibility then fall on believers today to keep sharing that message? 

I don't want to preach at you. I am, let's say, an.....unconventional believer. But do I believe? YES. And it breaks my heart that so many don't. 

".....You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name....."
                                                                                -Psalm 61:5

I have come to this faith, just as I am. It changes and challenges me daily. But its good. Its very good. 

Thank you, Billy Graham. 





Comments