A MOMENT OF PEACE

It was yesterday. I had finally turned the TV off. It's been on a whole lot since Covid-19 took over. I am lonely, and the voices or the music that fill the room make me feel less so. 

In an effort to stimulate the economy, I did some online shopping. Why the heck not, right? I've been wanting to get a tripod chair to go camping that will allow me to play my guitar around the campfire without arms in the way.

Undergarments are becoming necessary because, well, most of the time that's what I'm sitting around in. Too much information? Come on, there are two kinds of pajamas these days. Your night pj's and your day pj's. Am I right?
©CherieElainePhotography2020
I've ordered medicine that is supposed to change my life where allergies are concerned (can I just say that Xyzal works? I have horrible allergies and this morning, I can breathe, baby!)

I ordered a book. I love books. Pretty sure if you follow this blog you know that. The newest is Michelle Obama's Becoming. 

Hold it right there.....I mean it! If you are a right wing Republican, I don't want to hear it. She is a WOMAN, created in God's image just the way you are. Jesus doesn't care who you vote for. Jesus cares if you love your neighbor as yourself. Be kind!

Back on topic. 

I have been trying to encourage others. I am searching for moments of peace. I know so many parents who are struggling with homeschooling. I know parents who are working full-time from home who are trying to homeschool. I know teachers who are excellent in the classroom who have no idea how to teach online. I know children who are struggling to turn their work in on Google Drive who would much rather write it down. All is chaos. 

I shouldn't have to look so hard to find peace. I live alone. It's generally quite easy to be in my home. 

But this blasted virus has confined us all. I almost feel caged. And how horrible? Are we not a free people? 

Then reading our former First Lady's autobiography yesterday flipped a switch. A little folk music in the background and she is writing about the first time she was able to go outside, in her shorts and barefoot, and just be present in a life that demanded nothing of her but being there. For eight years, she lived in isolation. Not only was it required of her, but she CHOSE it, because she was committed to her husband and the welfare of our country and this was the best way to contribute. 

And there it was. My moment of peace. I smiled through tears. She gets it. She did it first. She did it longer. And I felt relief. Peace. Joy. And folks, I only read the preface! 

Perhaps it was getting out the night before and going owl scouting with a friend who was comfortable with our being in the same general vicinity. Perhaps it was watching an adult owl take flight at sunset. Perhaps it was watching a dog who used to shake and hide at the sight of a human who came to life to play fetch, and accept love and affection. Perhaps it was knowing that in a few hours I was going to see my daughter mask-to-mask and I hadn't seen her since early February. 

There it is. Peace. There is no television reporting on the latest Covid-19 cases on this morning. There are just words printed on a page, and me, a lover of books, making time to read instead of allowing chaos to steal my curiosity. 

We live, my loves. Those we've lost are not forgotten. Those we greet as they are born into this altered universe are growing. People are still arguing politics and religion and finances. They are just arguing in a different manner. As long as there is arguing, there is life, because life is required to have an opinion and express passion about that opinion. 

I didn't even know how very stressed out I was. It took recognizing the quiet, and the words of another that relate to so much of what we are going through right now, to allow me to let go and rise up. 

Rise up, loves, rise up. Seek peace. Seek joy. Be curious. Find patience. And love. Just love. 

I love you. 


Comments