BREATHING ROOM

©CherieElainePhotography2020
"He is solid rock under my feet, breathing room for my soul." --Psalm 62:6a (The Message)

This morning, I was thinking about all the times I am walking and feeling unsteady. My mind wandered to my cautious footing as I hike in the mountains not far from my home, but that while there I feel like I can finally breathe. Each step makes me a little bit stronger as the muscles take in oxygen and my lungs fill with refreshing deep breaths. 

This verse was like being told He has this incredible gift for me available at all times. It reminded me to ask Him to be here, rather that ask Him to take me away. 

I'm healing. This horrible virus tried to throw me under the bus, but I got up, walked it off and am healing. Not just my body, my heart. 

I'm feeling like a real person again. 

I am an extrovert. I miss social gatherings and celebrations. Hugs. I really miss hugs. I  miss my grandchildren climbing all over me and jumping into my arms, trusting that I am going to catch them in a tight, safe squeeze. Now that's love. Abandoned, trusting love. I miss their moms and dads and my cousins and my friends. Everything has been so distant. 

I have one friend who is making sure we get out. She's not afraid. We kept our distance, but as I've gotten better, we have gotten braver and it's been wonderful to have some human connection. Oh. And dogs. She has dogs. I love how excited her fur babies get when they see me! When she tells them Auntie Cherie is coming over, they sit by the door and wait. Now that's love. Expectant, affectionate love. 

It isn't just there when we can see it. It's always there. We don't have to go get it. We just have to ask for it. 

I hope I never lose the intimate feelings of His presence in the wild of mountain passes and trails. I feel like it's our special place. But now? Now I want to be more focused on the very promise that we are going together. He's way head of me, and He's bringing up the rear. In the mountains, He doesn't let me get distracted when I breathe in that clean, sometimes brisk air. It's like He says, "Here, here is a little more of me." 

I've been taking daily walks. Just out and about in my neighborhood. I've made some quick friends that are sitting out saying hello to passersby. And then as I reach the edges of the subdivision, the trail reveals open space, and an incredible view of the mountains from one side of the horizon to another. 

©CherieElainePhotography2020
As I wrap this up today, the lesson is this. He can make us feel all soft at the same time He is making us feel strong. Feel His Spirit moving around inside you, His presence quickening your body to health; and also our minds and our hearts. He is not somewhere to go. He is somewhere to be. 

This morning, my feet feel a little steadier, less achy. My heart, more receptive. And just like my grandkids when they jump trustingly and with abandon into my arms, I am jumping into His. When He sets me down, I am on solid ground. And there is breathing room for my soul. 

So much love for you. 



Comments