The Dance of Water

©CherieElainePhotography2023
Sinks Canyon State Park Visitors Center Overlook

In 2019, Sinks Canyon State Park, also known as The Sinks to the locals, had nearly 400,000 visitors. The Popo Agie (pronounced po-po-zha) River melts from mountain tops to find it's way down the canyon, disappearing through caves, or "sinks" before reappearing from a cavern on the other side. It is powerful, and extraordinary. No wonder 399,999 visitors beside myself venture to it's mouth every year. 

I'm sure it's photographs are a dime a dozen. I have dozens of them myself that I've captured through the years. And now, with cell phones touting the experience and expertise of professionals everywhere (this is untrue, by the way) more and more photos emerge. And I will continue to take more. 

Beyond the beauty of this place, beyond the reminder of the power of water, is the dance. I love putting my feet in the icy cool water of a spring creek, or making the slow descent into a lake until my body is engulfed in comforting waters. I am intrigued by the ability of it to produce electricity, or to produce warm mineral baths for healing. I love watching it tumble over rocks and wood as though it is choreographed by its Creator as it moves in raucous rapids downstream until it comes to a quiet rest. 

It is no wonder that water is used to baptize, cleanse and renew. Those of us who have access to it take it for granted when many of us have.....well, none. 

We are spoiled, those of us who have to merely turn on a faucet to retrieve a drink. According to a report from the U.N. in March of 2023, one in four people worldwide do not have access to clean drinking water. And a 10 minute drive from home can bring me here. 

©CherieElainePhotography2023

As I watch the water dance and tumble, almost as if it were playing, I am grateful for these moments of touching the earth, for where I am, for what God allows me. When I feel so down and sad and unsure and I'm begging for relief, I need to remember I have this. I merely need to touch the water's edge and He is washing my feet again, ever so gently, and I can be at rest. I am a woman at the well. Thirsty, and He knows it. I am cleansed by the ritual begun by John the Baptist and finished by Jesus. 

Oh the sweet dance of water. 

Love you. 

©CherieElainePhotography2023

Organizations fighting for clean water: 

  • https://bloodwater.org/
  • https://www.worldvision.org/
  • https://lifewater.org/mission/
  • https://thewaterproject.org/
  • https://watermission.org/

 


Comments