WHAT IS A DAY OF REST?

©CherieElainePhotography2024

Rest: 1: to cease from action or motion; 2: refrain from labor or exertion; 3: to be free from anxiety or disturbance; 4: to sit or lie fixed or supported. (Merriam Webster)

According to this definition, I have no idea how to do any of that. I've been looking forward to today after days and weeks of busy-ness. I'm exhausted. I'm worn out and quite unhappy, I am assuming, because, well, I'm exhausted. 

So today's plan? Do nothing.

Well, except those dishes. And I haven't gone on a long drive or taken scenery photographs for a long time. Now that I have a recent music class under my belt, maybe I'll finish that song I started last week. So much laundry piling up. Oh, my car needs vacuumed and washed. Okay, just read. Maybe after I take my dog for a long walk. Oh, you know what I forgot to do at work? No, someone will take care of that today. Ugh. I think I'll sit down and just write. 

My brain has no concept of ceasing from action or motion, refraining from labor or exertion, freeing itself from anxiety or disturbance, sitting or lying in a fixed or supported position. 

I can't. Don't know how. 

If you've read my previous blogs, you know I've been working on this for years. I do know the last time I did it. It was in 2014 and I lived in this cute house on Beech Street, and for three days I checked out and did absolutely no thing at all. I laid around. A lot. Watched movies. napped. And mistakenly thought it was a sign of depression. Which in one way it was. However, that depression settled hard because of exhaustion. I didn't enjoy it as rest. I just gave up. I quit life for a few days because I was tired. And miserable. 

That is one instance that I remember "resting" and ending that rest by kicking myself in the arse and rousing myself out the door to do something, anything, to feel alive again. 

I know I am being a terrible example right now. I have two days in a row without any responsibility except to myself. I'm wrestling with which day to use as rest and which day to get everything done that is driving me crazy being undone. 

God slowed down and said "Nope, not today" after working for six days in a row. Jesus went away to a quiet place of rest. God set the example, Jesus did the thing physically and I'm sure the Holy Spirit in me is on overload because He would really like for me to just STOP. 

So my lovely readers. Take one. The "normal" world is at work today as it's a weekday. But don't forget your weekend. Rest. Abstain from everything. EVERY THING that feels like work or anxiety or depletes you. And rest. 

There's a pillow over there with my name on it. 

I love you. 





 

Comments