Foolishness

Today I am thinking ahead into the new year. I haven't even celebrated Christmas with my family yet! But I am looking ahead at great things.

I am consistently reinventing myself. This comes at my own detriment, and often with confused and unwarranted sighs from my well-meaning friends and family, it is seen as foolishness.

I keep doing the same thing over and over and every time I learn I should not do that. The difference this time is that I'm changing the outcome instead of going back.  I repeat the pattern. But I am repeating the WRONG pattern.

What makes this reinvention work for me?  I'm a starving artist, but I'm an artist. That mundane job is never going to be enough because it isn't what I am supposed to be doing.

He didn't guarantee riches, although if He wants to throw some rent money my way in the next few days, I'd be very grateful. But He didn't even guarantee a roof over my head. If He had, I wouldn't have found myself numerous times without one. And He has thousands of His own on the streets that haven't had a roof in ages.

I am not the most traditional White American Christian Woman. Some even think I've lost my way. I promise, I have not. I have a small Lamp to my feet on a treacherous path when most have a complete hallway lit up, that's all. A Bible thumper? Yes. In touch and in tune with the Spirit? Absolutely. Here's my truth:

       "The natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

The Natural Man. The part of us that uses logic and puts together thoughts in our heads and decides what is right and wrong. My life might look like foolishness to even the most spiritual of my friends, but because it is on MY life, they cannot discern it.

I am looking forward to working part time and having a steady income at the first of the year. It will provide for me so that I can work fully at doing what I'm called to do. Twenty hours a week? PERFECT! In February I will finish my college degree and begin using it for the calling.

My calling and His timing might appear foolish. I am in good company. Let me introduce you to a few fools:

  1. Joseph. Unmarried and middle-aged, he was traveling across the country with a very pregnant teenage girl. Her name? Mary. Her baby's name? Jesus.
  2. Martin Luther. The religious world went under complete scrutiny and reformation because he challenged the church.
  3. Martin Luther King, Jr. He had the audacity to tell people we are all equal, no matter what race we are. Amen, brother!
  4. Anne Sullivan. She believed she could give a blind and deaf girl eyes to see and ears to hear. While she could not change the physical ailments of Helen Keller, she opened up the world to her so that she could experience it as no one else does.
I don't dare to put myself in the same category as these amazing people. But the foolishness of men can be world changing. I will celebrate my foolishness, because out of it will come great things. :-) 

Comments