Merry Second Chance Day

I think I've about exhausted my collection of Netflix Christmas movies. Two different movies hijacked their story lines from Groundhog Day, living Christmas over and over for 12 days until the miraculous happens and the protagonist learns the "true meaning of Christmas." I watched both of them in their entirety.

There's a common theme among British Christmas movies. Everyone deserves a second chance. It was quoted in two movies I watched just this morning. I assure you, I do not devote my life to watching movies alone. I just happen to very much enjoy Christmas movies and have them playing in the background while I do homework. Yet both of the movies playing in the background this morning caught my undivided attention with those words.

And I understand it. That's what Christmas is about. Giving humanity a second chance.

I have gone through so much disappointment in the past few...... well, lets just leave it in the past. Being faith-shaken has also meant searching for Something deeper than rules and church pews. While suffering a severe heartbreak, I knew getting my tree lit, candles ready and some soft Christmas music to greet each morning with was going to be necessary to my spirit. Everyone deserves a second chance. Isn't it strange that I felt I was giving Him one?


I struggled with putting my nativity set out. I frowned, feeling abandoned and broken. Looking at my skinny, but beautiful tree, I realized that this was the reason for Christmas, and that it was His birthday I was celebrating so to throw Him out of His own party was ridiculous. And so it is set out. Sometimes the act of following through on what you know is true is enough to remind you that you believe it.


I know a good man who does not celebrate Christmas. At least not in the traditional sense of the word, the way the world has evolved into celebration. He said not to take it the wrong way, he believes in what it is, just not the way it is celebrated.

Its humbling. How selfish we've made this celebration. We have lost sight of the second chance that it symbolizes. We, humanity, as a whole, given a second chance. Me, faith-shaken, given a second chance. Its allowing me to give second chances because that, my friends, is the true meaning of Christmas. Everyone deserves a second chance. 

Merry Second Chance Day. :-) 

Comments

  1. I found out the hard way that God gives us gifts and talents to use for His glory - not ours. When I finally acknowledged that I did nothing to deserve the gifts He gave me and that He does deserve all the glory for anything that I do, life became a series of opportunities to give those gifts back to Him by sharing them with others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment