The Eagle

A morning walk, but 1.26 miles. A short distance, but a long walk. I take my time, breathing in the fresh air. It is warm for December at 50 degrees. Partly sunny, a breeze blows just gently enough that one needs to cover their ears.


Today, I met a bald eagle. There were feathers scattered across the trail I was walking. And he, covered in mud. Whatever fight he had taken on, it happened fiercely on the ground, and he, the victor, was now proudly posted on a tree branch. He faced into the sun and cocked his head at me, as though inviting me to do the same. I turned and joined him for a 10 minute sun bath, as the wind was blowing into both of our faces.

I hear him get restless, and look up at him. He turns on his branch, again cocks his head at me as though beckoning me to join him further. He gracefully stretches out his wings and flies. He soars in and out over the small lake I am traversing around, and comes close to me before dancing on the water next to me as I walk. He dives once, and comes to perch on the rooftop on a house not far from the water's edge.

I hear myself speaking aloud to him, inviting him to return to my side, he, in flight, and I, walking. As though he understands me, he dives close to the ground next to me. I do not shudder or duck. I know he will not hurt me. He is calm in my company and I in his. He circles close to me, and soars very close to the water's current. He finds the breeze will carry his outstretched wings quite close to me. He repeats his dance in the wind as we move along the muddy trail.

At last, breakfast catches his eye and in one swift movement he dives into the water and comes up with a fish. I am distracted by a flock of geese who noisily make their way to the water before silencing as they gracefully land. And he is gone. My peaceful interaction with my bald eagle has ended.

It is then that I notice the sun, a trail of sunlight dancing across the lake that has been in front of me the entire walk. Should it at some point have been at my back? I breathe in deeply. No. It is filling me. As it radiates into my spirit, it captures me with a message. I am light. I am now responsible for shining it. No matter how heavy the burden, the soil on my wings, I am to fly alongside others, breaking the darkness, soaring in light.

It is then with my ears covered to protect them from the wind, that I hear. The dry grass rustles next to me, nature's music, as though the widespread wings of an eagle have just flown from it.....



The End......Or the beginning?

Comments