MOTHERS DAY: FOR MOTHERS UNTIL....

 



Meet my daughters. Of everything I have done in my life, these are the very best. They are strong, independent women. They are mothers and mothers-to-be themselves. They are career women. And they are my world. 

So living in small town America six hours away from the closest of them is heart-wrenching. 
My oldest daughter is busy. She is busy being wife, mom to two very busy tweeners, and having a career as a fitness/nutrition coach. We used to talk every day. It is an awful adjustment when you have to wean yourself off of your child friend so they can adult. 

My middle daughter lives states away. She is busy taking care of her two guardian daughters and has two young-ish sons who are finishing up school for the year. She recently moved and is getting her PhD in psychology while doing life with her partner. We have shared long, deep, spiritual conversations. We have shared many "ah-ha" moments!

My youngest daughter is a mom-in-waiting, but married to a brilliant man who also a student, while moving into another branch of her already successful business.  We are both professional photographers so have dozens of portraits of each other, but also selfies because we love coffee-shopping dates and sitting on one of our beds catching up on our day. Those days had to adjust to miles between us and her growing into a young career woman. 

More than anything in the world, being mom is the absolute best job a woman could ever have. And for one beautiful day of the year, the world celebrates that. 

Mothers Day is for mothers, until it's not. 

The mom in me is sad! She misses her daughters! She misses the silliness that we shared before life interrupted. She misses working out with them or having coffee or going to the movies. She misses living closer. Making time. Visiting with her adult daughters. 

Maybe this just happens when they grow up. 

I did a good job if they, as adult children, don't need me. And it is our job as good mothers to bring our children up the way they should go and then let them go be it. But dangit! It hurts.

My best friends have either lost their mothers, or are losing them to dementia or cancer. I am one of the lucky ones who's mother lives in an apartment upstairs from mine that I can just catch at home any time I want to. 

Call your moms. If she is close enough to hug, do it. If you have even five minutes to just call and tell her you only have five minutes, tell her you love her. 

Daughters of mine, I love you to the moon and back! I love you so much my heart tripled in size because of you. I love you so much it hurts not being with you. And I love you so much and I'm proud of the women you have fought to become. I miss you girls. 

Happy Mothers Day. Because without you, I wouldn't be one. 




Comments