Living in High Definition

Evening sometimes finds me perusing Pinterest until my brain settles down from work so I can dive into a good book. I post on Facebook and Instagram probably more often than I update my photography website. Yes, I waste time as a social media junkie just like the next guy (or gal). 

More than that, though, I like looking at pretty pictures.

But I've noticed that cell phones and computers are pushing photographs beyond what is actually there. 

I think we are starting to think its real.

Over-saturating and over-sharpening are causing our photos to desensitize us to real things, real places, and maybe even real people.

We no longer appreciate what is because we can't see. We're living in high definition rather than fine lines, we're looking for bold color rather than soft hues, and we can't even see beyond it any longer to appreciate the architecture that makes living unique. 

It's blinding. Its almost as if the bigger and bolder and more obvious require less responsibility by the eye of the beholder. We're being anesthetized by the edit.

The importance of a genuine photograph is to capture the reality of now. A good photograph should supersede time. 

Photographs have a purpose. They document. They help us remember. They recollect and reconnect people with places and people with people. 

Somehow we've decided things are better if they look bolder and brighter and wilder. 

What if we quite trying so hard to make life LOOK that way and just start LIVING 
      bolder 
         and brighter 
               and wilder? 

And hey, while we are living that way, let's take a camera along. We wouldn't want to forget any of it, would we?

Visit my website at www.cherieelaine.photoreflect.com. 

Comments