The Power of "Do"

Stephen King, in his book On Writing, said "If God gives you something you can do, why in God's name wouldn't you do it?"

Indeed. Great question. How many of us are doing it?  

I stayed up late last night writing. I'm working on a novel. Encouraged by reading, it was time to start writing. It was time to just do it. My sleeping hours were few but I awakened with passion. And joy. The joy of doing.  

The thing I do most regularly is shoot photographs. Photography is my profession. The digital age has made it competitive and finding one's own style and niche while being able to earn a living at it is really hard. But its what I do. 


I love black and white photos. Not digitally changed from a color photo or even shot with the monochrome setting on my camera. TRUE black and white film makes me happy. Its the element of surprise. Its intentionally shooting. Its being willing to make a mistake. Its the doing without knowing


Sometimes I wish I knew what my future held. But other times, I'm glad I don't. If I had seen ahead to what the past few years held for me, I would have quit the doing. I am strong because of them. I am victorious and undefeated. And exhausted, honestly. But not done. 

We have to create our futures. Are they set in stone? Is there a big picture? Are we called to do? I sure hope so. But so much of our future is reliant on what we do. Who we do it with. Or who we do it without. 

In the 2008 movie, Flash of Genius, protagonist Robert Kearns is a professor, inventor, and engineer who's mind is so wrapped up in his ability that he cannot help but do. In my mind, I'm thinking "He's an engineer, for goodness sake! How can that create passion? Isn't it just a career choice for really smart people?" No, no, no. It's what they do.

I have the dream of an office with big windows and a big desk where I can work in warm brilliant light while creating brilliant work. A place to do. I want a place to do because I want to do. I don't know where it will lead. Will I write the next great American novel? Will I be published in the world's leading photography magazines? I might not get it all done. But I will sure sleep well. Because doing now, even though I don't know what the end result will be, is good work. Its the power of doing. 


Comments