Growing from the Inside Out

I talk to plants. Yes, I am one of those people. A couple of years ago I was a bank teller, and when I got a promotion and was leaving my current branch, my boss and friend Jamie gave me a Lucky Bamboo plant. It lived in a tiny stone pot. It was lovely and it was something I could take care of during a time when I was pet-less. 

A few times, a leaf would turn yellow, and I would have to gently tear it away from its tiny trunk because once they turn yellow, they drain the life out of their sibling leaves. At one point, one of the three "trunks" began fading to a yellow-green, but I didn't want to give up on it. 

Like me, Lucky, the Bamboo was fighting to survive some tough circumstances. Breakdowns, breakups, painful peeling away of something that was living and breathing, but draining the life out of the core. 

©CherieElainePhotography2019












My lucky bamboo's roots were bound, confined in a small space until it was ready to be uprooted and replanted. Just like me. So two months ago, when I moved from the confines of my small but very comfortable room, not only did I uproot my life, but the life of Lucky, the Bamboo. 

I found a beautiful old mason jar at the thrift store, and my grandkids and I went on a walk in the woods collecting pretty rocks for it to expand its roots in. We came back to Grandma's new digs, and dug a rock well for Lucky to live in. 

We planted it on rock. Just like I am planted on The Rock. 

In two months time, Lucky has doubled in height. But here's the cool part. There are new slender leaves growing from the centerof each of her trunks, stretching, reaching, growing in strength towards her new life in her new pot. She is growing from the inside out. 

©CherieElainePhotography2019
 
















Me too. 

I was worried I would never have a place of my own to call home. Yet now I am renting this warm and beautiful space. I am replanted. And just like Lucky, I am thriving. I too, am growing from the inside out. 

I've been frustrated at how I've been treating my body. I am quite hard on myself, looking in the mirror and seeing the change because I gave up on my physical appearance. I'm ashamed and embarrassed. 

But this morning I see the difference. Not because anything has changed on the outside--YET--but because I'm growing from the inside out. I am but the extension of the vine, and as my soul and spirit are evolving and getting stronger, so will my body. 

If I would have given up on Lucky, The Bamboo, she would have died a horrible death in the wastelands of a dump. If people had given up on me, I too, would be dying in the wastelands. 

We are so loved, and tenderly cared for. It HURTS to have the parts of us purged that are draining the life out of our best selves. Being moved, uprooted and replanted are painful processes. But they are good. They are oh-so-good. 

New life springs out of well-tended soul. And I've no doubt it is going to give life to this body, and it will be well-tended to. I am already feeling the difference....the desire, to be better to myself. 

Inside and out. 

Love you.

Comments