Univited

He had no right to touch her, but he did.
He had no business being part of her life, yet there he is. Stamped forever.
He wasn't invited for the holidays, yet here he was, imposing himself on the family.

Pure, ugly, dark evil.

It shows up at home -- UNINVITED. In the splitting of a second, a child's innocence, stolen. There are no words for this kind of thievery, the kind that steals innocence. 

Oh the hateful feelings that have arisen! The violent anger that requires unleashing! Forgiveness and grace? NOT TODAY. Not even words in the vernacular right now. 

Is there a statute of limitations on forgiveness? And will it ultimately result in the unforgivable sin? Because how, God, how does one forgive this crime?

How will she ever recover? This child, who has her whole life ahead of her, who has yet to start kindergarten or go to her first dance or learn to drive? 

Earnestly I pray she can forget. Yet I don't want her to forget the strength it took her to overcome it, because yes, I believe she will. I don't ever want her to forget how powerful she is, I just want her to forget why. 

If we start asking "why her?" then we have to ask "why ANY child" and then we are shaken to the core. Evil doesn't care who it picks out of the world. There is no why. And asking too much of ourselves to understand the why will shake our faith to the core and we need it desperately right now. We need it for her. 

Emotions range for rage to sorrow. The first act of response is protect. And even then, it doesn't feel like enough. Judgment, an unleashing of unfair accusations against parents or caretakers, these are side effects of the weak, of those who cannot look evil in the face and lay blame where it belongs--in the depths of hell. 

This is a crime that cannot be erased. I am watching my grand-daughter, sitting next to me in a rocking chair, reading a Bible, having innocent faith calling on her heart. She is safe....for this moment. Can I tell you how grateful I am? I want to share that with the people I love so much who no longer have that feeling of safety in their home. 

For those who have inspired these words, I want you to know how much I love you, and how very sorrowful my heart is right now. I want to reach out and hug you and find words (there are none) and vengeance (there is none) that can erase this. I'm praying, even though it is so hard to do so, because I am fortunate enough to be ABLE to do so. You are so brave. 








Comments