Evil, Again, Proves it's Existence

I can't find the right words, because there aren't any. 
It feels like Columbine all over again. 
It shouldn't happen in the neighborhood I used to live in.
It shouldn't happen at all.
Why?

Over and over again, these thoughts keep mulling around in my head. And I wrestle with Psalm 91 and the promise that no evil will overcome us. Evil, indeed, has proven its very existence. Safety escaped and the lives of eight injured young people and one fallen student hero know its the truth. 

But then, student hero, Kendrick Ray Castillo, who lost his life to the shooters, actually was the barrier that kept evil from overcoming those he was protecting. 

I wish I knew more. I wish I knew he felt no pain, no fear, no sorrow as he stepped in front of his classmates. I wish his folks wouldn't have to feel the deepest sorrows. It is an evil of its own. 

I wish there was a way to capture every tear the 1,800 students and their families are crying, the tears of the community, the tears of our state, and the tears that our God is surely crying because of this horrific event. 

As if the word "event" can even encompass such ugly reality. 

I'm thankful we have suspects in custody instead of the morgue. I want them to tell us why. What in Hell were you thinking to get to this point? What happened to you to make you believe this was the best way to move forward? Do you realize what you've done??? WHY??? Do you even know? 

We are shaken again. Broken. Not just our hearts, but our heads. None of us can quite think straight. It's just too crooked a world. 

But, even as we all sigh heavily and rub our sleepless eyes, the glue of faith, love, and moving forward is going to stick it all together again and we will all rise stronger. These words seem empty, and not even I believe them as I write them. It is only the hope that its true that makes them possible to write, and hope that makes it possible to believe.

Much love. 

Comments