When You Look in the Mirror, Who Do You See?

This is a world of selfies and everyone being comfortable in front of the camera. Everything we think we are seems wrapped up inside our phones. 

But my question is this. Is that who you see when you look in the mirror? 

Have you ever walked by a store and caught your reflection in the glass and felt shocked by what you saw? Do you always have that duckie kissie face thing going on? Do you always stand taller than you are, with you booty sticking out and your boobies propped up to your chin? 

I. Do. Not. In fact the shock I see is one of having a look of disgust or anger or confusion on my stoic wrinkled face, or laughing too hard and my eyes disappearing, or not sucking in my belly and did I really wear THAT in public today? 

And selfies? Oh. No. Its not me at all. 

Until right now. 

This selfie was taken just yesterday from the desk where I work full time for the city.



I surround myself with things at work that remind me that I am a creative, I am an artist, a writer, a photographer. And I do my very best to accomplish things in the office to the best of my ability to support my team. Being a supermodel isn't among my duties. 

I love getting pretty. Not a little bit. A LOT. I love curling my out of control hair and taming the frizz, and using highlighter to help my make up light up my face. I love fun sundresses, my Levi's, quirky outfits, high heels and evening gowns. But just as much, I love being my natural self, with hair thrown up in a barrette and natural make up and a jean jacket that I wear over almost anything. Yesterday's selfie was just that. 

I can walk out the door feeling like a million bucks, and one quick photo can deflate me. 

Here's the deal, when I look in the mirror, I WANT to see who I feel like I am! When I walk out the door feeling like I look like a million bucks, I want to look like a million bucks! I want to be selfie me.....always smiling, blowing kisses, laughing, hugging, being my best. 

All y'selfie Babes, you are practiced in putting you best foot forward! EXCELLENT. Here's a question, though, when you look in the mirror, who do you see? Do you see your selfie self or your real gorgeous deep down beautiful you self? 

Sometimes my reflection is appalling to me. But I love the light that pops from inside. People in my office have commented on how much joy I bring into our workplace. My previous department heads told me they loved the happy energy I brought to work with me. 

Friends, I'm not even DOING what I love doing right now, I'm not IN my career but striving with blood, sweat and tears and not enough sleep to accomplish it. Right now I'm doing something even better. I'm lighting up the world for others. My career will take off when it is ready to do that very thing.

If your selfies are doing that, I hope you see it when you look in the mirror. I hope you see the you that lives inside, and that YOU are the one that impresses you when you look at your picture. 

You are lovable. You are worthy. You are enough. You are adorable. Love you! 

Comments