Aging Gracefully

Honestly, turning 56 next month is  tweaking me out a bit! I realized recently that this meant I was closer to (*gulp*) 60-years-old than 50, and on many questionnaires, I have jumped into a new age category. Doctors want to pinch, prod and poke more often. Grandkids are everywhere and getting more energetic and I'm, well, slowing down just a tickle. I almost trickle. But that's a whole other conversation!

While I'm busying myself with updating my resume because my current contract position will be ending soon, I am faced with the question I am asked in every interview: Where do you see yourself in five years? 

My answer? I don't really want to look ahead that far! 

Because I have a young heart, I read blogs by younger writers, writers who have so many more years ahead of them than I. They are happily setting big goals while changing diapers. I admire their enthusiasm for everything that lies ahead of them. And you know what? My enthusiasm isn't worn out. 

So I am thinking of a five year plan. What WILL be different for me in five years? 

The answer is REALLY COOL THINGS!

For one, these debts I've been chipping away at that seem they will never go away? They will be paid in full! And just maybe that credit score will go from "needs work" to "pretty darn good!" 

Currently I live paycheck to paycheck. Every penny really does get accounted for before the next check gets deposited. When my much younger co-workers mention how broke they are because they only have a hundred left in their checking accounts, I laugh....a mean, wicked laugh. I have $1.88. Literally! But being faithful to every payment and staying on budget means five years from now that money that will be freed up! 

This includes my car. I love my car. It's a 2016 Ford Fusion and I really love it. It zips up mountain highways with ease and gets excellent gas mileage. All of my camping gear fits in the trunk, and I can park in regular parking spaces. If I take good care of her, she will still be running smoothly for me. 

I want to live in the mountains. I love the mountains. The city is.... oppressive. Too many people. I love people, I do! But not in such large quantities. Five years from now I will be living a more quiet life in a more quiet space. Except when the grandkids come over. My home will be an adventure for them, a destination. There will be chatter and games and laughter. Oh, and since three of them are boys, I'm sure there will be scuffles. Its going to be GREAT.

Lucky, my bamboo plant will be a bamboo TREE. This plant has been through many a move. She's been my faithful little plant partner and has been through a lot. With each replanting, she GROWS. I can't wait to see what she'll look like five years from now! 

I wonder what I'LL look like five years from now? Will I let my long hair turn grey? Will I still have long hair? I hope so. My aunt had beautiful, long hair until she was into her 80's. And it was white. She was beautiful. I hope I get to look like her. I don't think we're ever too old for long hair. I know that right now I feel too young for grey. Who knows how I will feel when I'm almost *gulp* sixty-one. 

I will still be a phenomenal photographer who has evolved and kept learning and choosing clients who fit into my vision. I will be writing words that encourage and inspire and love others and perhaps make a decent living at it. I'll be a dynamite grandma that has created unique memories that my grand-children will never forget. I'll still love camping and hiking and my breath being taken away being outdoors. I'll be even closer to my daughters (this seems impossible because they are already my favorite people). And my best friends and I will take adventures that only girlfriends can enjoy. 

You know what? I'm actually feeling much better about this upcoming birthday now. I guess I just needed to share, and set an intention or few for this upcoming season of my life. 

I'm aging gracefully. And I'm going to keep on loving the living and the act of doing so. Happy almost 56th birthday to me. :-) 

Love you!

Comments