The Number of Our Days

I lost a dear friend a few days ago. He was the kindest, gentlest of men, yet also fiercely strong and politically stubborn. I mean that with all the affection in the world. Twice he and his wife have taken me into their home when I had nowhere else to go. He loved Jesus. He loved his wife. He loved her children. He loved their grandchildren. 

Simply put, he loved

I cannot imagine this world without him. His boisterous laughter that had no boundaries. His ability to create a meal that looked like a masterpiece on a plate. His generosity with time and money. His willingness to allow his wife and I to take adventures. 

I'm trying to reconcile our numbered days, which the Bible says we have, and how we reach the end of them. Perhaps we don't have control over how many days we live, but for sure, we have some control over HOW we live them. 

The best kind of people are those who leave huge holes in the hearts left behind. He didn't waste a day. He loved fully. And we all knew we were loved.  

I loved my big burly huggable bear friend. He felt safe and happy. He treated my dear friend like a princess, and I'm so grateful he chose her. 

Oh my friend, I am so grateful that I get to remember our last visit being on the back porch with laughter. I'm so grateful for you "fathering" me when I needed it. I'm so grateful for your willingness to give me your home. I'm so grateful that your very presence graced my life. Thank you for sharing some of your numbered days with me. I'll miss you. See you on the other side. 

A side note, my friend Clint should be a celebrated man. One who fought a very good fight. One who jumped on the train bound for glory. I came across this song shortly after learning of his passing. It is a reminder, that he is dancing in Heaven, and there is a big party going on! 



Comments