What Do You Love Today?

My friend Joj and I started this banter a few months ago. "What do you love about yourself today?" This morning she told me she made it to our fitness class twice this week! Then she asked me. My response? My forty minute hair. 

Sometimes the answer is going to be physical. Sometimes spiritual. Sometimes emotional. 

I'm impatient with my hair. It takes 40 minutes, no matter what I do. Add curl to tame the frizz? Forty minutes. Straighten and silken? Forty minutes. I have 40 minute hair. More often than not, I just throw it up in a messy bun or a pony tail because it just takes so much work to make it pretty. 



But when I do it? It's BEAUTIFUL. It is one of my best assets. 

I am big boned, and have large hands. I am a musician so painting my nails seems futile. I see women with elegant hands and I turn green with envy. But I love it that I play guitar and violin and possess those abilities to create beautiful sound. My hands, though, walk out the door with me every day, and my instruments do not. I have to remember to be grateful that these are hardworking musical hands.  

My hair? An asset that provides me confidence in my appearance. Not because of how I look, but how I feel because of how I look! 

What do YOU love today? 

I started this fabulous habit, thanks to Rachel Hollis, where I open my journal first thing in the morning and write down five things I'm grateful for. I will be honest, some days it's really hard to find those five things. Here's what happens when I can't easily find them. I look for them to appear to me throughout the day. Now? My attitude is so much improved just because of this one adjustment. It is a habit to look for the things I love. 

This was an exhausting exercise at first. But I do want to challenge you to look for that really good thing today. Find that one thing you really love. Person, place, thing, animal or idea. 

Today I love it that I left the house on time for work, with my hair beautiful, and that I was calm when I arrived. 

Now, what can I do that will continue that trend? 

I KNOW that these two things make a difference in my day. If I start writing, blogging or creating in the morning, I am always going to be late. If I get up earlier, so that I can write? I am on a roll then and still won't stop on time to get ready for work! I am having to wait until I have time during the day to do my writing. I will jot down notes in my journal and write it later. Even though I love writing in the morning, I HATE being late or going looking a mess for work. 

I want to commit to getting out the door, stress free, with my hair shiny and ON TIME. I want to start my day feeling love, feeling accomplished, and stress free. I love being on time. I love seeing my beautiful hair when I look in the mirror. I love knowing it's beautiful even when I don't look at it. And I love getting to work without stressing about getting here. 

This one thing--looking for something you love--is going to make a difference in your today. 

And one more thing I love today? YOU. 

Comments